- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- .25 Kilograms Cottage cheese (Paneer) Diced Small
- .5 Kilograms Mixed vegetables Finely Chopped (Grate Carrots)
- 2 Medium Sized Onions Finely Chopped
- 1 Table Spoon Ginger Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1 Table Spoon Cilantro (Dhanya Patta) Finely Chopped
- .25 Kilograms Mushrooms Chopped/ Sliced
- 1 Table Spoon Soy sauce (Optional)
- 1 Table Spoon Vegetable bouillon
- Cooking oil
- Salt To Taste
- 30 min
- 15 min
- Ready in:
- 55 min
- Dough Preparation: 2 cups all-purpose flour; 3/4 to 1 cup water; Pinch of salt; Method: Add salt to flour. Mix water a little at a time and knead to make a smooth soft ball of dough. Knead the dough well till it comes off the sides of the bowl. Cover with a damp cloth or lid and keep aside. The dough should remain moist.
- Filling Preparation: Take - 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped; 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped; 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped; 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro (dhanya patta), finely chopped; 1/2 kg. mixed vegetables, finely chopped (carrots may be grated); 1/4 kg. mushrooms, chopped; 1/4 kg. tofu/paneer (cottage cheese) chopped; 1 - 2 tsp. soy sauce (optional; 1 tsp. vegetable bouillon; Salt to taste; Method: Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Method to shape the momos: On a rolling-board, roll out the dough into an even thin sheet. Using a small round cutter ( or if you don’t have a cutter, a glass or a small bowl should do) cut small circles about the size of your palm. Continue till all the dough is used. Work fast so the dough does not dry out. Take one circle in your palm, place 1 tbsp. vegetable in the center. Using your other hand pinch the edge of the circle taking it up over the vegetable. Continue taking up the edges and pinching them together till you get a dumpling shape. Make sure there is no hole for the juices to escape. To get the half moon shape, turn one half of the circle over the vegetable, joining the edges. Pinch the two edges together giving it a little twist. Do this till you reach the end. Seal the end well.
- Cooking: Use a steamer; Oil the steamer trays so the momos do not stick to the metal. Place the momos on the tray so they don’t touch each other. Boil water in the steamer and then place the steamer tray/trays inside. Close the lid and steam for 10-15 minutes.
Add 1 tbsp. of cooking oil in the boiling water. This helps keep the momos moist.
Serve hot along with Red Chilli Chutney.